Date: 1st December 2016 at 1:38pm
Written by:

After a bright start to the game it was unthinkable that we could be walking away from Oakwell on the end of such a hammering.

The reds took the lead twice but still managed to go in at half time trailing by three goals to two even though they had dominated proceedings in the first half.

The first half for me was the best we had played for a number of weeks but every time Forest had an attack they scored.

Silly mistakes cost the reds in the first half, defensive errors, losing the ball in our own half, not tracking the runners, silly free kicks, our inability to defend a cross in to the box and the goalkeeper inexplicably taking a step towards the side his wall covered on a free kick.

It was certainly entertaining stuff for the neutral and most reds fans were reasonably confident that we could claw our way back in to it in the second half if we continued to play how we had been.

The second half however was as poor as I have seen us play this season. Even before the sending off it was all Forest and a better team could have ended up with seven or eight.

The reds as I say had started well and were 1 – 0 up with only four minutes on the clock. James Bree, one of the few who can hold his head high after this one, sent over a cross and Sam Winnall headed home.

It wasn`t long after that Forest were level with Lansbury getting his first of the night. But the reds were back in the lead two minutes later as Hourihane spotted the perfectly timed run of Marley Watkins. He controlled and finished beautifully in his only meaningful contribution of the evening.

In the 23rd minute it was two apiece when a cross from the Forest left was forced over the line by Apostolos Vellios. What a game so far.

Barnsley seemed unfazed and again went at Forest but couldn`t find another goal. Forest however could and Lansbury headed his second of the evening to give Forest a 3 – 2 half time lead. What a game for the Sky cameras to be at.

Forest`s fourth came in the 62nd minute when a cross from the Forest right found Osborn who found the back of the Barnsley net.

Watkins then stupidly got himself sent off for a stamp and with him went any hopes that the reds might be able to get anything from the game.

Forest sealed the points when Lansbury scored from the penalty spot to complete his hat-trick and the Barnsley fans began to head for the exits.

One win in their last 11 games now leaves the reds looking nervously over their shoulders at the relegation zone.

It is indeed worrying times if you`re a Barnsley fan. There are no easy games in this league and now they must go to Birmingham who sit in the play-off positions in the Championship.

I must admit, I fear we are in for a relegation battle now and at the moment it is difficult to see where we can pick up points.