Date: 28th October 2013 at 2:37pm
Written by:

Another Game of two halves saw Barnsley throw away two points in terms of their first half performance and save a point after their second half performance.

Barnsley dominated the entire first 45 minutes and in the process made Sheffield Wednesday look very poor to say the least. The second half was a complete contrast with Wednesday dominating proceedings. Worryingly this has happened two games on the bounce and it is something that Flitcroft and the team need to address.

Against Middlesbrough Barnsley had the luxury of a 3 – 0 lead so were able to hang on for the three points.

In this one Barnsley failed to capitalise on their dominance and went in to the break with only a one goal cushion. The second half performance from the reds meant it was squeaky bum time as they clung to a point that moved both teams down a place in the table.

A high tempo start to the game exploded in the 16th minute when Marcus Pedersen put Barnsley in to a 1 – 0 lead. The Norwegian international first of all rattled the post and was then alert enough to receive the ball again and rifle home a terrific goal for the reds.

Barnsley had a glorious chance to double their lead just before half time. Paddy McCourt danced his way past four men in the box and fired a low cross across the goal face which just evaded the incoming Barnsley players.

It was almost perfection and in my opinion the Barnsley strikers should have been in the perfect position to slot home.

Early in the second half Wiseman went on a great run from right back, he burst in to the box but saw his shot hit the side netting.

Perkins then won the ball and drove forward but could only fire over. He should have done better once in that position and also had the chance to put Pedersen in if he had released early instead of carrying the ball.

On 52 minutes Wednesday brought on big striker Nuhiu for Jermaine Johnson. The Wednesday faithful began to chant ‘you don`t know what you`re doing` but from that moment on the visitors took control which just shows that Dave Jones actually does know more than the fans in the stand. Who would have thought it?

Wednesday appealed for a penalty as the ball struck the hand of Mvoto. It was accidental but his arm was in the air and he closed his eyes and turned his head so it could have easily have been given.

Butland saved well from Nuhiu but from the resulting corner the reds cleared for the ball to come back in to Fryatt who volleyed home a lovely goal almost as good as the one that Pedersen scored to give Barnsley the lead.

Butland then saved well again from point blank range and it was obvious Barnsley needed to make a change to try to get back in the game.

Flitcroft responded with his usual substitution of withdrawing Mellis put he introduced Dale Jennings who had not seen much action lately.

I`m not one to really judge a player on one appearance but Jennings was awful and if that`s what he has to offer then I can`t even see a place for him on the bench especially with Cywka and O`Brien sitting there.

The reds made a further change with Etuhu coming on for McCourt, a suggestion that Flitcroft was now playing for a draw rather than going for a win.

Scotland later replaced Pedersen as expected. In hindsight the changes were poor and I think he got two of them wrong but that is easy for me to say now and surely Jennings does has something about him for him to end up at Bayern Munich in the first place.

Overall a point apiece was a fair reflection on the game but it does neither team much good in what will be another relegation battle for both teams.