Date: 6th February 2014 at 4:45pm
Written by:

A goal deep in to added on time condemned Barnsley to an agonising defeat at local rivals Sheffield Wednesday. The reds seemed destined for a point following a battling display as they spent most of the game a man down.

The goal game 60 seconds after the minimum stoppage time had elapsed and was heart wrenching for the nine men of Barnsley and their travelling fans.

The match saw three red cards in total, one for the reds and two for the home team.

At the time I thought that the two Barnsley reds were harsh but I could also see why the referee had given them. Whether or not he made the correct decisions on the red cards, I still think that referee Andre Marriner was poor and prefers that he is the centre of attention rather than the footballers.

Frimpong was the first to receive his marching orders for two bookable offences in the first half. Jermaine Johnson saw red for the owls whilst Jacob Mellis was the second Barnsley player to go in injury time.

Frimpong managed to find is way in to the book twice in a matter of minutes. He had been warned by the referee after numerous fouls. Moments later he made another and found himself in the book.

Other than the fouls, Frimpong had looked quite good up to this early point. The type of defensive midfielder we have been looking for. He`s strong, he will get a foot in and he can play a bit too.

He and Mellis, who I thought was outstanding all afternoon until his injury time red, looked to be forming a good understanding and I was beginning to feel that we now had a real top quality Championship midfield pairing.

Unfortunately, both are now suspended and the ramifications of those suspensions could ultimately be what sends us down to League One.

Frimpong`s second booking was downright stupidity. I did feel the referee could have just had another word with him as I didn`t feel the challenge in itself warranted a booking. I have refused to watch it back on TV as I wanted to write this from my point of view inside the ground. However when you go to ground and go in from behind then you are always giving the referee the option to produce a card.

The stupidity of that challenge made me realise why Frimpong is at Barnsley. He clearly has the talent but someone needs to get hold of him and sort out the rest of his game. I hope Danny Wilson is that man.

Upon Frimpong`s exit, O`Grady was sacrificed for Dawson. At the time I could see why Wilson did this as O`Grady had not held it up or won anything in the air and you would fancy Proschwitz to be more likely to nick a goal.

However in hindsight I think the work rate of O`Grady would have been a better option but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I also think that Dawson was the right man to bring on in such a situation, he will get stuck in and has great energy but he had one of the worst games I have seen him have in a red shirt.

Barnsley had a long time to play with ten men but defensively they were immense and every single player worked their socks off. During the game I always felt if anyone could nick a 1 – 0 win then it would be Barnsley.

Just before the break Jennings had a decent chance to give Barnsley the lead just before the break as he raced on to a Brek Shea through ball and forced Kirkland in to a save.

In the second half Wednesday just couldn`t find a way past the outstanding Cranie and Ramage at centre half.

Ramage has come in to some criticism from me for sub-standard performances but he has really stepped it up the last couple of games and he was my man of match at Hillsborough.

Barnsley made changes late in the second half as O`Brien came on for Jennings and then Cywka for Hunt meaning that O`Brien had to move to right back.

I thought that Shea should have been the one withdrawn and not Jennings. Jennings looked our main threat going forward and Shea was poor throughout. I have seen nothing in Shea to suggest he warrants a start above the likes of O`Brien, Cywka and McCourt but Wilson sees something in him and hopefully we will start to see it soon.

Jermaine Johnson was the next man to see red and it was the worst challenge of the afternoon. He had only been on the pitch ten minutes when he received his marching orders for a high challenge on Shea.

This got the Barnsley fans going. They smelt blood. Wednesday had been poor with a man advantage and now things were even.

Mellis was then denied what looked a stonewall penalty. The referee chose not to give it and in my opinion if he wasn`t giving the penalty then he should have booked Mellis for diving.

This fired Mellis up and fired him up too much. He then went lunging in to Maghoma and was sent off. It looked worse than it actually was but I suppose he had to go with the intent he went in with.

The nine men of Barnsley looked set to see the game out for a 0 – 0 draw. However the red continued with the game despite the amount of stoppage team there had been.

O`Brien found the ball in the right back position. He saw that we had two men unmarked wide left and if he could find them then there was the chance to break and go for goal.

His pass was poor and fell to Maguire who slotted home past the grasp of Steele from 20 yards.

It was a sickening blow for the reds and devastation for both the fans and the players.

The players must now regroup for what looks set to be one of the most important months in the history of Barnsley FC.