Date: 22nd November 2016 at 1:05pm
Written by:

Barnsley were held to a 0 – 0 draw at home to relegation bound Wigan Athletic.

Despite the reds controlling the game from start to finish, the outcome of this match seemed destined to be goalless as Wigan showed no ambition whatsoever and Barnsley were once again lacking that clinical edge in the final third.

On this showing Wigan seem destined for the drop. The fact that we couldn`t beat them is worrying but I must say that I was very disappointed in Wigan coming to little old Barnsley and playing for a 0 – 0 draw. Surely if they have any chance of staying up then they should be trying to win at places like Oakwell.

Barnsley were blatantly asked by their visitors to come and break them down and the reds struggled to do just that. Having controlled the ball for the duration the reds just couldn`t find a way through the ten defenders of Wigan and it was likely to take a spectacular goal if one was to come.

It is hard to be too critical of Barnsley`s performance. It could be said at times that we moved the ball too slowly and that the tempo wasn`t quite up there but Wigan made it difficult for us and they got exactly the result that they came for.

Positives can be taken as far as Barnsley are concerned. It is now four games unbeaten, ok we`ve only won one of those, and three clean sheets in those four games.

The fans of both clubs can be proud of the phone-lit gesture in honour of Barnsley owner and saviour Patrick Cryne who is fighting cancer.

Chances were few and far between in this one but Sam Winnall had an excellent chance with a header in the 11th minute that went agonisingly wide of the post. Watkins forced Bogdan in to a save six minutes later but chances on goal didn`t come along too often.

Winnall did put the ball in the net from a header but he was rightly adjudged offside this time.

The first half came to an end with a total of only two shots on target and many reds fans were unfairly critical of the performance with even a few boos being heard on the half time whistle.

The second half was delayed due to some floodlights possibly being on fire and that was probably as exciting as the game got. Armstrong did however create one chance for himself and was unlucky to see his strike go just over.

A beautiful passing move by the reds in the 68th minute saw Winnall`s cross headed over by Armstrong.

The game needed a spark and Hammill was finally introduced 16 minutes from time. This should have been done at half time in my opinion. Kent had been poor throughout the game and Hammill thrives against League One opposition such as Wigan.

I agree with Hecky`s decision to keep Hammill benched for the start of this one again but he made a mistake in not bringing him on earlier and I reckon he should be starting the next game now. He has been punished and rightly so but he has surely got to come in for Kent.

Hourihane had a tame effort straight at the keeper in the dying minutes and that was that as far as this one goes.

Two points dropped or a point closer to safety? Only time will tell.