Date: 27th September 2008 at 7:57pm
Written by:

Barnsley huffed and puffed but simply couldn’t make the final breakthrough at a sunny Oakwell this afternoon.

Jon Macken missed a penalty, Diego Leon hit the post, the Reds did just about everything but score over the ninety minutes.

Heinz Muller and Anderson de Silva made their long-awaited return after both players had been out with serious knee injuries since January and February respectively.

Diego Leon nearly sent the Reds off to an absolute flier as he spotted the Norwich ‘keeper off his line but his 45-yard effort was tipped over by Marshall.

The resulting corner almost let the Reds in again as Hume’s header nearly looped into the top corner.

A foul on Anderson who was teasing the norwich midfield resulted in a delightful cross from Diego Leon, Macken was free in the box but his header went just over the bar.

On 12 minutes Jamal Campbell-Ryce had the next effort from a very acute angle as the ball dropped to the Jamaican, his strike was blocked in the six-yard box.

The Referee then pointed to the spot for the Tykes to have a pop from 12 yards. Up stepped stand-in captain Jon Macken but his poor penalty was easily saved to Marshall’s left.

Immediately after the save Spaniard Diego Leon was at it again as he rattled the post with a wicked drive from a tight angle.

It was all one-way traffic in the first 15 minutes as the Reds were bombarding the Norwich half.

Macken bundled Ostemboor in the box and found himself in a great position to volley at goal but he snapped his effort wide.

Jamal Campbell-Ryce then ran rings around the Norwich midfield as Barnsley were enjoying their football with some delightful passing and moving – all that was missing so far was a goal.

Antoine Sibierski thought he had given the Canaries the lead on 26 minutes but for a fine save from Heinz Muller. The big German flung himself back across goal to the right as Sibierski nodded down a delightful cross from Croft.

Some more great interchange play between Hume and Leon found the latter just missing out on the final through-pas in the penalty area. Barnsley were looking ten times better than they had been in previous games and looked like a completely new side.

Hugo Roberto Colace then controlled well on his chest before slicing his effort wide from 10 yards.

With just over five minutes to go until half time Diego Leon had a great chance from 25-yards with a free kick just left of centre. The former Real Madrid man looped a great strike over the wall and just inches wide of the left-hand post.

Anderson de Silva had the final shot of the half after some very clever feet on the edge of the box, the Brazilian managed to squeeze a shot straight at Marshall who fumbled the ball clear.

Half Time

The first real chance of the second half fell to Canadian international Iain Hume on 52 minutes. Hume was unable to get the ball under control as he advanced on the ‘keeper and the ball was cleared for a corner.

At the other end Stephen Foster nearly gifted Norwich the lead with a backpass that fooled Muller but fortunately just went wide of his own goal.

Glenn Roeder then introduced Jamie Cureton for Pattison as the Norwich manager looked to bolster his attacking options.

Iain Hume broke on 64 minutes and did well to find Macken in the box but the Norwich defence stood firm.

Colace found himself as the first player in the referee’s notebook for holding back a Norwich counter attack.

Heinz Muller pulled out another top drawer save, tipping over Croft’s cross-come shot.

Simon Davey looked to boost his flanks by introducing Martin Devaney for the booked Colace. Devaney was sent onto the right wing, with Leon coming inside to partner Anderson.

Lee Croft tested Heinz Muller again with a solid shot from a tight angle as the clock ticked past seventy minutes.

Jon Macken was replaced by Kayode Odejayi on 73 minutes.

Wes Hoolahan was then brought on for the visitors replacing Lee Croft.

Antoine Sibierski headed over from virtually underneath the crossbar with Kozluk close by.

A quick corner by the Reds allowed Diego Leon to cut inside onto his left but the midfielder poked his effort wide of the post.

Darren Moore then rescued Barnsley in the 85th minute as Wes Hoolahan’s teasing cross was begging to be slammed home by a yellow shirt. Big Daz scooped the ball out to safety.

Barnsley: Muller, Foster, Kozluk, Moore, Souza, Colace (69), Anderson, Campbell-Ryce, Leon, Macken (73), Hume.

Subs: Odejayi (73), Devaney (69), Mostto, Hassell, Steele.

Norwich: Marshall, Otsemobor, Stefanovic, Croft (75), Grounds, Fotheringham, Russell, Bertrand, Omosuzi, Patterson (61), Sibierski.

Subs: Hoolahan (75), Cureton (61), Drury, Koroma, Nelson.

Att: 12,324

Next up for the Reds: Ipswich (A) Tuesday 30th September