Date: 26th April 2008 at 6:38pm
Written by:

Barnsley v Charlton Attendance: Attendance: 11, 228.

Diego Leon fired the game`s first shot over the bar with 3 minutes on the watch. Jamal Campbell-Ryce then tested the gloves of Nicky weaver after some clever trickery from Diego Leon.

Matt Holland forced a corner for the visitors 9 minutes in but Souza cleared away the danger.

The deadlock was crucially broken by Barnsley when Jamal Cambell-Ryce fired in, Macken`s shot was blocked and the ball eventually fell to Campbell-Ryce whose second bite of the cherry found the back of Weaver`s net The Jamaican`s celebrations found himself in the referees notebook.

Odejayi rose well to head the cross of Macken at goal but his 12 yard effort was straight at Nicky weaver.

A great ball from Shelvey found Varney on the 18 yard box, his splendid half volley sailed just wide of Steele`s right-hand post.

Meanwhile the Barnsley faithful in the Ponty end were singing to their player of the season, Steve Foster who was sat out injured in the corner stand.

Odejayi pounced on a loose ball to feed Campbell-Ryce on the right, but Jamal skied his shot high over the bar with 20 minutes of the first half left.

Van Homoet got lucky on 25 minutes when the Dutchman was caught out by Luke Varney, but luckily Varney squeezed his shot wide with Kozluk on the line.

Semede broke down the right hand side but met the towering Dennis Souza as the ball went for a corner.

A Jonjo Shelvey volley was nodded off the line by Kozluk with Steele scrambling across his line. Jamal Campbell-Ryce then had his turn to volley at Weaver who palmed the ball out for a corner.

The reds were in dreamland as their lead was doubled by Nyatanga on 34 minutes, Charlton failed to clear the Barnsley corner, Dennis Souza headed back to the Welshman who volleyed home from 3 yards.

Chris Iwelumo failed to finish off a neat move by the Addicks, a cross was whipped in from the left and the former Colchester man headed wide from 6 yards.

Charlton then had another shot on Luke Steele`s goal as Shelvey pumped a volley over from 22 yards.

Campbell-Ryce shot down Weaver`s throat on 42 minutes, the Jamaican showed quick feet after Leon and Macken switched play.

One minute of time was added as the reds finished the half strongly with both Souza and Odejayi having close range efforts cleared off the line in quick succession after Brian Howard whipped in a wicked corner.

Second Half

Sam Sodje replaced Madjid Bougherra before the second half commenced.

Richard Beeby turned down Jon Macken`s claim for a penalty just before Odejayi pulled a poor ball back to nobody.

Barnsley were closing Alan Pardew`s side down well but the away side were showing their eagerness to get back into the match.

Togwell came on for Diego Leon in the middle of the park just before the hour mark.

Odejayi won the tykes a free kick from 25 yards and the skipper Brian Howard had his resulting effort deflected wide for a corner.

Jose Semeda was replaced by the youngster Scott Wagstaff for the visitors.

Paddy McCarthy found himself in the referee`s book after grabbing a load of Odejayi`s shirt 25 yards from goal.

Odejayi showed great strength as McCarthy hauled down the big Nigerian again 19 yards out. Hassell dinked a splendid free kick over the wall and rattled the cross bar as Weaver could only stand and watch.

Van Homoet had a horrid 50/50 collision with Varney with 20 minutes to play; the referee handled the situation well as he booked Ben Thatcher for dissent.

Butterfield replaced Brian Howard with 72 minutes on the watch and the youngster put on Howard`s captains armband.

Charlton should have pulled one back as Greg Halford lobbed over the bar from 8 yards with the goal at his mercy.

Togwell showed great skill before finding Macken on the right who cheekily lobbed the ball for Odejayi but the pass nearly sneaked into Waver`s top corner.

Charlton should have snatched another as Varney and Iwelumo messed with the ball 6 yards from goal. Sam Togwell then had a chance for the reds from 8 yards, but he scrambled his effort wide.

Barnsley made things safe when Jon Macken nodded in a great Van Homoet cross with 4 minutes left. Van Homoet collided hard with Ben Thatcher but the Dutchman carried on to find Macken who placed a header off the bar and in.

Van Homoet then came off for Hungarian Istvan Ferenczi after Thatcher had tried to injure the defender.

Matt Holland saw his wicked free kick palmed over by a floundering Luke Steele.

Four minutes of stoppage time were added at the end of the ninety.

Odejayi then surged forward with electric pace and Nicky Weaver had to palm his low cross out of the box, the ball eventually fell to Macken but he shot over from 25 yards.

Istvan Ferenczi then won another dangerous free kick for youngster Butterfied to fire over from 20 yards.

It was a splendid afternoon for the reds who secured their championship status with the final result being:

Barnsley 3
Charlton 0

See you in the Championship next season, where it looks as though it will be jam packed with Yorkshire clubs.