Date: 29th October 2010 at 11:04pm
Written by:

An epic season in the Championship culminated in a relegation dogfight for Barnsley. Their exploits in the F.A. Cup were still fresh in the memory when the Tigers came to Tarn.

There’s been a fair bit of water under the bridge since then. Hull have been to the Premiership and back for instance. Here’s what happened last time Barnsley met Hull City, according to Vital Barnsley:

Barnsley were looking for their third successive win as Phil Brown brought the Tigers to a rather chilly Oakwell.

A header back from Nyatanga nearly caught out Luke Steele with less than a minute on the clock, but foster was on hand to clear the danger.

A turn and shot from Macken after being fed by Campbell-Ryce whizzed a couple of yards wide of Myhill`s goal 5 minutes in.

Hull were happy in keeping the ball around the back four ready to test the reds but neither side were determined to slip up in a relatively quiet opening.

Fraizer Campbell fired over an ambitious effort from 25 yards under pressure from Nyatanga.

The home crowd was brought to life as Campbell-Ryce ran rings around Fraizer Campbell to create an opening that was headed clear by Dawson.

A dubious penalty was awarded to Hull on 24 minutes when Dennis Souza clearly won the ball from Fraizer Campbell. Dean Marney stepped up to send Luke Steele the wrong way and the City fans into raptures.

Jon Macken had the next chance for the reds but his 25 yard effort was straight at the keeper.

Diego Leon had an opportunity to score another free kick when Odejayi was wrestled to the ground 30 yards from goal. However Leon opted to swing the ball to the back post for foster to head the ball across goal, somehow the ball was kept out from an eventual Macken shot.

A volley from Hughes went wide of Steele`s goal after some neat play from the tigers 31 minutes in.

Diego Leon did eventually fire a free kick at goal but the little Spaniard fired high over Myhill`s goal.

Odejayi did well to nod down for Campbell-Ryce after a sweet ball from Bobby Hassell, the Jamaican could only fire wide after working the ball onto this right foot.

Diego Leon was pulling the strings in the middle for Barnsley as the Oakwell turf was greeted with a heavy fall of April showers and hailstones.

One additional minute was added although no action came as both sides looked forward to half time.

Second half

Barnsley brought Michael Coulson on to replace Lewin Nyatanga before te second half got underway.

Maricano Van Homoet surged forward from a quick free kick but sliced his shot from 25 yards.

Friazer Campbell won a corner for the Tigers five minutes into the second period. Michael Coulson came to the rescue when he cleared off the line from a Campbell effort six yards out.

Hull grabbed their second of the game as Ian Ashbee powered in a header from six yards before the hour mark.

Fraizer Campbell then brought a good save from Luke Steele on 66 minutes after Stephen Foster misjudged a bouncing ball on the wet surface.

The reds were restricted to outside the City box as Bobby Hassell lofted over from 25 yards.

Caleb Folan whizzed a cross come shot across the Barnsley box after outpacing Dennis Souza.

Foster got away with murder as he clattered Caleb Folan to the ground in the box but the referee waved play on.

The reds seemed reluctant to keep the ball after giving away possession on several occasions and Hull were happy to oblige.

Nardiello replaced Odejayi with 25 minutes left to play

Fraizer Campbell could have put the tigers three up after Steele failed to gather a dipping corner but the England U21 international nodded wide.

The reds were simply unable to create any real chance as the away side work hard to close Barnsley down.

Nardiello nearly turned in a loose ball dropped by Myhill on 75 minutes but the ball deflected wide, from the resulting corner Souza headed over from 8 yards.

Both sides made changes with 13 minutes left; Ferenczi replaced Campbell-Ryce for the tykes and Ryan France came on at the expense of Craig Fagan.

Dean Marney was able to run at goal and took his chances from 30 yard but blazed high over in front of the away fans.

Dean Windass replaced million pound signing Caleb Folan with 8 minutes remaining.
Windass immediately made an impact with his first touch; his shot somehow squeezed its way under Steele after being fed in by Campbell.

Simon Walton replaced Fraizer Campbell with only a few minutes to play.
Three more minutes of misery for Barnsley were added as the away fans danced in jubilation.

Istvan Ferenczi reduced the deficit with a header from close range from Coulson`s cross.

Hull certainly gave Barnsley a lesson on how to play football, a result Simon Davey will soon try and forget as Barnsley are still not out of the relegation battle.