Date: 12th March 2008 at 1:22am
Written by:

Barnsley were aiming to pick up a vital win against Jim Magilton`s men after knocking ‘money bags` Chelsea out of the F.A. Cup.

Both teams immediately showed their intention to get the ball down and pass it in yet another blustery encounter down at Oakwell.

Brian Howard fired a shot over after four minutes after some Macken chested a Jamal Campbell-Ryce cross into the Barnsley skipper`s path.
Another chance for the Tykes saw Kayode Odejayi fail to connect with a tasty cross from Lewin Nyatanga.
A first clear chance for the tractor boys came as Owen Garvan found space 30 yards from goal but his effort found row Z.

Barnsley really should have taken the lead on 8 minutes as Kayode Odejayi burst his way through on goal, after eventually getting the ball out from under his feet, the Nigerian shot wide from 15 yards.

Alan Quinn was looking dangerous for the visitors on the left-hand side and a 20 yard effort from him went just wide of Steele`s goal.

Macken flicked a header through for Odejayi to loft the ball over from six yards although the ball did bounce awkwardly for the big striker.

After 18 minutes played another neat move from the reds saw Diego Leon find Odejayi on the wing who then fed Brian Howard infield, but the reds skipper shot wide from 20 yards.

Although the reds had the majority of chances so far in the game it was Ipswich who took the lead on 20 minutes as Pablo Counago pounced on a Quinn rebound to tuck home from 6 yards.

The away side should have doubled their lead on 26 minutes as Velice Sumilikoski shot into the side-netting from close-range.

However Ipswich`s lead was short-lived as Brian Howard squeezed in an equalizer from a tight angle after a Bobby Hassell cross was missed by everyone in the Ipswich box 8 minutes later. Diego Leon then went close for Barnsley but Bywater found the Spaniard`s 20 yard curler comfortable to handle.

Half time

Just over two minutes into the second half saw former red Richard Naylor head a golden opportunity over the bar from six yards after a dangerous free-kick was whipped in by Alan Quinn.

Barnsley took the lead on 50 minutes as Jon Macken headed a Howard corner into the roof of the net from close range.

Alan Quinn brought a splendid save from Luke Steele on 54 minutes, the Irish man`s long-range effort appeared to be dipping into the top corner but Steele pushed the bal away. The Bransley cross bar will still be rattling into the night as Alan Lee`s blistering 8 yard effort rebounded off the right-angle.

Full credit goes to David Norris as Lewin Nyatanga cleaned the central midfielder out in a late challenge, but Norris didn`t have any complaints and Nyatanga managed to escape the referee`s notebook.

Simon Davey looked to steady the midfield as Sam Togwell came on to replace Diego Leon.

Counago joined Alan Lee on the list of hitting the woodwork on 66 minutes; the Spaniard skilfully found his way into the box but his effort bounced off the bar.

István Ferenczi came on to replace Kayode Odejayi on 74 minutes.

Barnsley had the chance to secure the win on 82 minutes when Jamal Campbell-Ryce was brought down by Alex Bruce in the box; Brian Howard had no problem in dispatching the penalty to the right of Stephen Bywater.

Alex Bruce was replaced by Dan Harding after the away side had gone 3-1 down.
Jacob Butterfield made his home debut as he replaced the hat trick hero, Brian Howard.

A relatively quiet end to the match saw Barnsley add a fourth in bizarre fashion when Brian Howard`s corner was caught by the wind and found its way into the net. Although David Wright may have got the last touch, Howard kept the match ball and claimed his first hat-trick of his professional career.

Although 4-1 may have flattered the Reds, it is under no doubt that Barnsley could have scored four in the first half. Jim Magilton wasn`t happy with his side`s performance in the post-match interview.

Reaction from Ryan Kidd, Jim Magilton and Brian Howard will follow.